1700, 5th April 2013
David Hume Tower room 11.01
[To be approved]
- Mike Shaw (President, chairing)
- Hona-Luisa Cohen-Fuentes (Secretary, taking minutes)
- Lucy Eskell (Treasurer)
- 15 further ordinary members
1. Discussion: should the Socialist Society prioritize campaigning or educational events/discussions etc.
The focus will be on educating people on socialist ideologies and supporting campaigns on campus where we, as a society, see fit. Educational events will only help the student movement, not hinder it.
Priorities will be too coordinate with other groups on campus, create a strong activist network, educate everyone interested, and campaign (democratically deciding when).
2. Committee positions, amendments to constitution.
Vote: To vote on committee now or after summer?
Result: Vote after summer
(in order to allow provisional committee to get to work, and allow for new members to get involved in the autumn)
Vote: Remove “events” from events & education officer
Vote: To add:
a) communications & outreach officer.
b) education officer
c) campaigns officer
3 new positions!
Vote: Add a clause to our constitution saying that each year the committee will leave money for the incoming committee so that we don’t have to charge membership fees
Vote: Have 4 reserved liberation positions on committee (women, bme, lgbtq+, disability) and abolish the position of safe space officer (unless less than half of these liberation positions are unfilled).
4 new positions!
3. What We Will Do Next Year
- discussion! the relevance of socialism/ Socialism 101
- reading groups: a variety
- film screenings
- skill shares!
- field trips!
- activism & the art of resistance
- workshops- what to do when arrested and other helpful advice
- discuss Socialism and/in:
- sexism and other shortcomings of the left
- anti-imperialism (and not the shallow kind)
- its various ideological strands
- music & sport ( sup folk soc!)
- SOCIALISM IN THE ACADEMY (all of it… ps. smash it)
- Green politics (environment that is, not the party, as much as we love P Mc)
- social democracies across the world & scandinavian utopias (?)
- the media/ hegemony
- The Revolutionary Potential of Student Associations/Unions
- Debate: anarchism vs. socialism, libertarian vs. authoritarian, RED VS BLACK
- status of the left……………….
- soc soc socials
- DIRECT ACTION (tbd)
Meeting closed at approx 1830.